Thief to Theater

Once a man who would consider himself a logistician, a man who would move property for profit... Legally, nothing but a thief, one as guilty as the person who stole it. But profit was profit, and in Venezia’s declining economy, people were constantly attempting to profit by hook or crook.

But as Gian begins his ascent to the upper ranks, he is mesmerized by Bella’s singing ability... but as she is straddled with child, her abilities and movements are diminished a bit... and restricted by what she can do and how much energy she has. Day in and day out he watches her suffer under the machinations of childbearing... and it pains him to see her hurt and miserable.

But he spends as much time with her as possible, as that itself seems to dispel any heartache she has. But one thing that had decreased far more than expected was their lovemaking. From more than twice or thrice a day to virtually nil... but Gian was emotionally strong and there for her as often as he could. His greatest concern was the scheduled and upcoming trip to Espania with Signore Stefano Vendramin.

@Kimmie
word count: 195
Signore della Ca'Foscari

“Love is like death, it must come to us all,
but to each his own unique way and time,
sometimes it will be avoided,
but never can it be cheated,
and never will it be forgotten.”

Re: Thief to Theater

Indeed, she was exhausted. Bella kept to herself most of the time, running the household from her bed to make sure Gian was pleased even though some days she didn't even feel up to the task in general. It was most depressing to be stuck in her body right at the moment when her belly was stretched from the two little ones. Mind you, she was not depressed to be having the babies, just for the difficult pregnancy that twins caused her. She had gone to parties against doctor's advice but it was for Gian and she did it without complaint... Luckily, he rarely asked her to go to these functions, and he never made her stay the whole night thus far.

She was starting to get too big for even leaving the Palazzo much anymore, and was hoping that they would come out sooner, rather than later, for the truth was that she was so very tired and uncomfortable. One could see it on her face... But she tried not to complain because the end result would be well worth it.

Bella lay on a blanket in the garden for some fresh air, plenty of cushions to keep her comfortable, wearing the most indecent, decent gown she owned... You know, the kind that was bordering on scandalous, but was just barely decent enough to pass. The fabric was thin so she could handle the temperature of the day, but the neckline caused her bosom to strain at the seams and threaten to spill. To be fair, that was also part of her pregnancy, her breasts were not small to begin with and now it seems they had doubled in size in the months it took to incubate her babies. Her hands caressed at the massive round of her belly, the feeling of the babies moving as well as the sunshine on her face giving her a reason to be happy right at the moment. The sound of her singing a hymnal could be heard in the palazzo and out, for the doors were open to let in the fresh air.

Her dark hair was loose and spread across the blanket like a halo, she looked like a figure in a painting, the scene was so lovely. The garden smelled of the roses that climbed up the walls of their home, something she'd asked to be planted when they first moved in and the staff was hired as she saw fit, along with morning glories and a rainbow of different flowers... It was lovely the way the scents filled the air.

Next to her on the blanket was a tray filled with a good amount of food... Mostly cheese and bread, some meat (essentially an antipasto platter), some tomatoes and other vegetables from the market, and on another platter was some grapes. She was basically camping out right where she was at as it was much too hard for her to move, calling for help every now and then so she could take care of needs but going right back to resting. If Gian would come out to her, she would smile up at him in the way of the woman who was madly in love with her husband, and greet him with the joy of her song.

@William
word count: 552

Gian had spent much time in the main office on the first floor of the palazzo, but when he needed to think, and to be near his beloved Bella, he had ordered a small office be set up on the palazzo’s third floor... and with a slight breeze whiffing thru the window, he listened as his beloved wife began to sing... and disregarding the issues top which he pondered at the desk, he rose and moved to the window... and the sight to which he beheld made his feel warm inside... a touch to his heart. The song resonated in his ears and he smiled... but seeing her rotund belly positioned so comfortably, or at least as comfortable as twins would allow, he felt something he had not felt in weeks...

Moments later, he had descended the flights of stairs to the ground floor and exited the building proper to the secret garden where she lay... and he’d stand in the frame of the gate and watched her sing... and ne’r faltered until she saw him watching... and his hand motioned for her to continue... his arms folding atop one another on his chest and a smile across that ominous face until she was done..

And as her song faded to the end, he moved forward, a soft clap... “Brava, Signora, Brava... Tis good to hear you singing again...” dropping to his knees upon the laid out blanket. No longer a single woman, she was the married woman of House Foscari... Gian then leaned forward and pay down beside her, his hands rubbing her belly lightly. “Your seclusion to your chambers had me worried a bit my dear... but your braving the outside and singing doth give me hope...” and he leaned forward, supporting his frame, kissing her belly, then shifting to kiss her lips.

And as he leaned on his arm facing her, he nodded. “Maybe you should sing to the babies... I am sure they shall benefit from a mother who sings to them...” Even having gained weight of twins, and the usual weight-gain of pregnancy, she was beautiful... and the straining of material against bosom did not deter his stirring... but he knew that time for making love as they once did, had passed... and should Providence deem her worthy to bear him children and live, there would be time later to enjoy the luxuries of the skin.

And her being in good temperament, it would be the best time to let her know of his upcoming journey. “My love, I have some grand news to tell you.” And he looks at her and smiles that usual wicked self. “I been invited to travel with Signore Stefano Vendramin, of the Teatro Vendramine... to Espania... to look for some new talent...” and she could hear the enthusiasm in his tone. “Signore Vendramin is a master of the Teatro... a wealthy man who has placed his trust in me. This is a huge boon for us.”

@Kimmie
word count: 502
Signore della Ca'Foscari

She smiled down at him as he kissed her straining belly. He would be gifted with the sight of a foot or hand forming a bump that pushed outward; she had long since given up on the trappings that go underneath to form her figure as it was much too uncomfortable for her and she worried about harming the children. Her hand moved to run through his hair before he came to kiss her lips afterwards. Her loins ached from just his kiss, but with her belly so big, it was such a hindrance and making love was nothing easy to do.

"I have been feeling stifled by my chambers. I couldn't stand it anymore... I have just been trying to be careful because the babies are making me ache in my hips and I do not wish to fall and bring harm to them. I love them so much and I haven't even met them... To feel them growing inside of me, two little lives you helped me to create, I cherish them so very much and would protect them at all costs." She smiled at him somewhat drowsily, "I already sing to them, my love... But I wish I knew of some other songs, some lullabies, perhaps, or other songs that aren't hymnals."

Bella didn't know how to feel about his news when he was through telling her... It as most certainly wonderful news under normal circumstances, but it gave her some anxiety. She was supportive as a wife should be, it was frightening to think something might happen whilst he was away. What would happen if the babies came early, which they very well could because of there being two? He would probably not miss the fear flashing in her eyes just before she looked up toward the sky and said softly, "If this is what you wish to do right now, I would not stop you, I would support you as I always have... But I will not lie and say I am happy you are leaving this time around. I worry, Gian... I normally wouldn't worry so much, but as the time grows closer to the little ones arriving, I feel afraid that something could go wrong. Will you be gone long?"

@William
word count: 383

He was happy that his beloved Bella was singing to their children... and he just wished he had their opportunity growing up... BUT, he would ensure his children would have what he never had... a loving family. “Shall I have a maestro come and visit you? He can bring a composer with him and you and they can work on songs together.” And he tenderly caressed her face.

And when he spoke of going to Espania, she got an odd expression of disfavor. Apparently, she did not like the idea of his leaving, but he could not do anything for her that the servants, or her handmaids, could not do... and the doctor would be on call for her. And her expression did not quite match her words, but he took it as fear for a new Mother. He pats her hand... “I shant be too long... five or six days by ship there; five or six days back and seven to ten days in the City. I shall be back well in time for the babes to arrive.”

Laying down beside her, propping his head on his own arm, he looks at her. “I am glad you have gotten out, you are far too pale my dear... the sun shall do you good. Just do not get too much sun.” And he pondered how many things could go wrong with pregnant women, and the mortality rate of childbirth, despite the quality of physicians in the Republic. Finally he could actually say that *money was no object*... and he knew he had an excellent physician for her... and experienced handmaids and servants about her. But this was not a pleasure journey, but one to enhance their standing in the teatro.

Soon a servant arrived and notified Gian that a Signore Pietro Vivaldi di Ferrara had arrived... and Gian rose, apparently elated, kissed his wife’s head, and walked briskly back to the palazzo. Moments later, he and an oddly dressed man, as if he was from the past, and carrying a violin, strolled out to the garden... Gian immediately to Pietro and indicated his wife... “Signore, this is Signora Bella d’Foscari, my wife...” and he looked at Bella... “Sweetheart, this is Signore Pietro Vivaldi di Ferrara... our new violinist...”

And the man took a deep bow, one reminiscent of decades, maybe even a century, past... “Signora Foscari... I am so humbled to make your acquaintance... I pray that my music shall soothe the babe... and all concerns shall flee its grasp upon the listeners...” He was so charming, well-mannered, and physically pleasing to behold.

@Kimmie
word count: 437
Signore della Ca'Foscari

He would be quite right that it was anxiety at being a new mother and something possibly going wrong without him there. A month... Almost a whole month. It would be the longest they had been without one another since their first meeting. When he lay next to her, she rolled toward him the best she could, her belly making it really hard to do so comfortably, but she buried her face into his neck and murmured, "I will miss you, my husband. I will be counting the days with baited breath for your return." She didn't want him to go, she wanted him near, but she never told him these things most times because she knew he was trying to make a better life for them and that he was doing what he had to in order to make that happen.

She didn't say anything when he spoke of her being too pale... She was feeling morose again as he got up and left her for a moment. Bella sighed and struggled to sit up, and was about to attempt to stand when Gian brought someone to greet her. Her eyes fell upon the very handsome looking man. If she had been unmarried, perhaps never met her husband, her heart might have stirred within her breast for a man like him who made music... But she was deeply in love with the one she bore children for, so she was left feeling nothing but the admiration of an onlooker, nothing more. "Forgive me, but I seem to be having trouble standing, if you could please excuse my not greeting you properly, Signore di Ferrara. I look forward to hearing your music."

Bella's eyes were on Gian after that, she managed to feign a smile but it was obvious that she could think of nothing but his leaving at the moment. With a heavy sigh, she gave up on getting up, it tired her out to keep trying and she was ready to nap there in her little nest on the terrace, but she couldn't do so yet.

@William
word count: 353

Gian stood next to Pietro, and there was no comparison between the two, as both men were totally different, one from the other. Where the musician seemed so lively and bright, Gian was dark and reserved... his face proffered more mystery than pleasure. But that was Gian... Looking at the violinist... “Pietro, play something lively, my wife is so burdened with child, she seems so disconsolate these days...”

And the man bowed deep. Many would call him wanderlust, gay, frivolous... even spirited. But Gian did not care, as long as the man could play, and earn a place in the teatro... and this impromptu audition would prove his worth. If Bella enjoyed it, then he was hired... if not, he would be ushered away quickly. “Maestro, my wife has a naturally wonderful voice, but she is untrained, and knows not too many lyrics except the religious hymnals...” and his gaze went to Bella, with a smile.

@Kimmie
word count: 157
Signore della Ca'Foscari

It wasn't the children that made her morose at the moment, she wanted to say, but the thought of being without her husband for as long as she was going to be. "Yes, please do play for me, Signore, I wouldn't mind hearing a tune or two right now." She smiled and then turned to rearrange the pillows so sitting up was easier. Her back was aching, but she was not going back into the palazzo for a time. She really had been feeling like she was in cabin fever, something that just happened sometimes when one was stuck in bed as much as she.

She forced herself to stop feeling sad, she knew that Gian would be home in time for the little ones to arrive. She didn't want it any other way! When Gian spoke of her natural talent, she blushed in the way only he could make her blush, for she hardly ever sang for someone that wasn't Gian or the babes... Of course, she didn't know it but some of the staff members had gotten caught up in the pretty sound of her song, and they all spoke of how much of an angel she sounded, but they never approached her about it.

"I do wish to learn more, if that is even possible. As much as I love singing hymnals, I am not a woman of the cloth and think it would do well for me to learn something other than hymnals. Would you be able to teach me, Signore?"

@William
word count: 261

The oddly dressed man, his gruff appearance highlighted by the odd-colored violin... and when he bowed, he silently, ignoring her query, rose to rake the bowstrands across the strings of the instrument, and from it came a plethora of tones, that seemed to scratch against one’s soul, but rose it at the same time. The odd-toned violin produced sounds like none had heard before... all caused by a deficiency in its production, but Pietro was able to make the violin sing like none other...

And his prancing around, his charming smiles and his eyes that rolled seem to entrance its listeners... not like the pragmatic and regimented music of the times, but a flavored collection of notes that hinted of the past mixed amongst what others would deem futuristic...

And he’d bend and look at her with wanton eyes, and pull that bow across the strings to lure her to a place that was part propriety and part lewdity... as if a secret lover in the shadows waited for his beguiled beauty.

And in the next stanza, he would prance around Gian... that man of darkness... that trimmed beard remained motionless as the dark eyes followed the musician who caused the violin to sing about darkness, violence, and violence, only to blossom into music filled with frivolity, sunshine, and love... His musical story, though general about people, would lure them into his world of light versus darkness... that battle of everyday life... and in the end, the music was upbeat, and lively, as if live overcame death, as if light, defeated darkness.

And when he bowed again at the final scratch of the bow against strings... he knelt before her... “I would teach the beautiful Signora whatever she needed to know...” and he gave her a seductive smile and a wink.
word count: 305
Pietro di Ferrara,
the Violinist

Gian was entranced at the music... for the man brought a different flavor to the music of the times... a wild flair that would fit anywhere, except the regimented orchestra... and Gian smiled as the man danced and pranced around him... and all Gian could see was the coin that such a musician would bring to the Teatro... and to rich palazzos.

And Gian tilted his head as the musician seemed to be flirting with his wife... and his blood set afire, but he did not say anything, nor... being the actor of old personalities... portray or reveal his true feelings. But the man’s words fired the green monster that lives deep within all of us that love... yet he put on his mask and acted as if nothing bothered him.

And when the man end his performance, despite the flirtatious words, Gian applauded the man’s performance. The man was a performer was he not? “Brava... Brava... Signore... an outstanding audition... I see by my wife’s expression, she was entertained.”

@Kimmie
word count: 174
Signore della Ca'Foscari

Return to “Ca'Foscari”