Sovereign Lords

25 June 1792

Ro—

It is good to hear from you again, no matter the reason. I am your brother, perhaps not by blood, but in all other meanings of the term.

I knew that you were well, per your last letter, and I assure you again, although you do not question it, that your trust is not misplaced. Rather, I appreciate being kept apprised of your matters, given that persons closer to your heart than I were left unaware of the same details.

Enclosed is a letter sent to me by your sister, who is well, albeit in low spirits. I beg you to allow me to tell her the truth, and moreover, to both pay a visit to you when travel becomes possible. I appeal to that part of your heart that still exists, despite your attempts at stifling it or cutting it out like some misguided surgeon. You cannot allow her to continue in her suffering.

The arrangements you requested are made, per the vow of kinship I made to you, and per the vows made to me over a blessed ring. Contrary to your instructions, I provided for the travel of a pair, because I trust that you will ignore your stubbornness and heed my advice—that traveling alone will prove far too dangerous for any man.

In return, I ask only for an acknowledgement of the above and a promise on our bond as brothers that you will take no risks beyond what is necessary to attain the object you require. Please also send correspondence following your return from your trip.

As ever,
C. Moynahan
word count: 270

Re: Sovereign Lords

27 July 1792

Ro—

I am much cheered to learn that you have taken my advice and will not travel alone. You will not regret the company, I am certain.

Yet my cheer is even greater upon reading that you would welcome a visit from your sister. I will speak with her and arrange a visit following your return to Venice.

I hope you will receive this note before you leave, but if not, I am certain you are already aware of my gratitude and my worry over your safety. I will expect a letter confirming your good health.

My wife sends her greetings… or something of that nature.

CM
word count: 110

Re: Sovereign Lords

25 August 1792

Ro—

Today I received a letter from Lord Castle assuring me that you have returned safely, albeit a bit worse for wear. I have written him a note of thanks for the update.

By the time you receive this letter, you will have recovered, I am certain. I suspect Lord Castle was a bit charitable in explaining your condition, but all the same, I have faith in your ability to overcome, and in your stubbornness. As you have always reminded me, you shall not die on land.

Do not feel obliged to write me immediately, but only when you are in better health and have the ability to do so.

As ever,
CM
word count: 116

Return to “Correspondences”