Stuff We Do

Here is a thread for anyone who wants to share what we do in real life!

Mine happens to be all writing-related, but that's because I don't really have a life outside of wording. This thread should be for awesome stuff in general, whether work, volunteering, or raising kids, or anything in between.

I'm a career worder. My main work is as the cofounder and CEO of a small publishing company, Shalamar. Along with publishing hand-picked works, we also offer services like editing and ebook formatting to any self-published writer (so if you know anyone who needs an editor, send them my way!). We're publishing our first work by an author other than me this winter. It's YA fantasy, so keep an eye out for it if that's your jam!

Aside from that, I'm also an author, and I'm working on a new novel. It'll be my second published novel and eleventh published work overall. Granted, it's a scifi/tech thriller, so it's pretty different from what most of y'all have seen of my writing, but let me know if you're interested in beta-reading it! The novel was supposed to be released in August, but due to various things its release date is now officially "if I'm lucky, it'll be out before New Year's."

Aside from that, I have two series on the literary site Channillo. The longer-running one is paranormal; the one I just started today is scifi/humor. (Channillo is a subscription-based site; authors make incremental amounts based on how many subscribers a series has. If you're interested in writing for them, let me know.)

Beyond writing, I'm also a multi-instrumentalist and composer, and there's a project coming down the pipeline there too, although I'm not sure when it will be done. Not gonna say much on that, I'll just link to this post and let y'all speculate from there!

So if you're ever wondering where Alecto is, I'm probably being devoured alive by one of these projects!
word count: 361

Re: Stuff We Do

My pen name is Marina Costa. This is my facebook page for writing.This is my facebook page for the roleplaying site. (Which comprises also writing and historical inspiration). This is my blog, comprising writing-related reblogs in English and my own musings (some about writing, some about RPGs) and some short writings in English, and some other writing-related things in Romanian, including quotes from my novels or reviews of my novels.

And these are the novels published up to now:
My debut novel’s title can be translated into English as “The Wanderers of the Seas“. It was launched in June 2016 and it happens in the Viking Era. It is based on one historical theory of the years 1950s-1980s that the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent who had taught them a lot of things, described as blonde and bearded, with whom the Conquistadors had been mistaken, might have been Viking.

So my characters, after a whole saga (a Byzantine young woman happening to be in a convent in Venice while her father was travelling, gets kidnapped by the Vikings, follows them on an island in now Norway, then, as her master gets killed in a local political intrigue and his defenders get banned, she follows them in their quest for a new homeland), end in now Mexico, with the Nahuatl. Sigurd, the ship captain, turns to become there Quetzalcoatl.

The second novel, launched in March 2017, in two volumes, can be translated into English as “Lives in turmoil” (Part 1 – “Bloodied lands“, Part 2 – “The New World“). It starts in the Napoleonic Era, in Italy under the Jacobine revolutions – “Liberty, equality, fraternity, democratic republic” (therefore the title of the first volume – the lands are bloodied by the wars). For my main character, the fights stop with the battle of Novi, in the summer of 1799, when she is taken prisoner. She succeeds to escape, but she has to lay low ever since.

When the Revolutionary Wars turn into dictature with the self-appointment of Napoleon as first consul, she and her fiancé decide to emigrate to the US, the only country who had preserved the democratic values. (Hence the second volume’s title). There they go west, with a convoy of Venetians, and settle on the shores of the Mississippi river (Venice, IL exists now too, and it is a part of Greater St. Louis, being just across the river from St. Louis). They make new friends there and they erect their village, with the name of the Serenissima Reppubblica they are deploring (The Republic of Venice being given by Napoleon to the Austrians in Campo Formio Treaty in 1797). They witness the Purchase of Louisiana, the development of Saint Louis (in parallel, but in quicker rhythm than their village). The second volume ends with Lafayette’s visit in 1825, making Roxana and Luigi, now Mayor of Venice, Illinois, reminisce their lives and fights in Italy, and with their firstborn son, now a young man in his 20s, returning to Italy, together with other sons of settlers of Venice, to fight on the side of the Carbonari, exactly how their revolutionary parents had fought in their youth for the same ideals.

There will be a third volume of “Lives in turmoil” too, a sequel which can be read also separately, titled “Other turmoils of life“, that I have been working at during November 2017 NaNoWriMo season. It will be finished in March, most likely, and bound to appear in late summer or early autumn.

There is also a new novel which was sent to printing (the one I was correcting lately) and will appear in February. Its title can be translated into English as "Rightness' Friends" (yes, I think rightness. Justice has a different connotation and it isn't the right choice). It is also in 2 volumes, but no separate parts like for "Lives in turmoil", only chapters in sequence. It happens in US, Arizona, in a frontier town named Nogales, which has a twin with the same name in Mexico, just across the valley. There is no clearly mentioned year when it happens, but it is sometime 1974-1982 (with a sort of an epilogue about 8-10 years later. Last chapter, not exactly an epilogue but similar). It is young adult, dealing with first love, jealousy, friendship, honour, but also good and bad choices, forbidden love, morals, gang wars, the high price of fame and young success (in sports and music) with the related high performance expectations and pressure which some can resist to, some can't, carreer choices, suicide and those left behind with guilt, rage and depression for having not been able to prevent it. It also explores the worlds of mariachis and of bullfighters.
word count: 795

As most of you know, the majority of my time is spent caring for my daughter, Elizabeth. She'll be 4 months old on the 17th of this month (omg I can't believe she's growing up so fast make it stop), and she is the main focus of my life.

When I'm not caring for the munchkin, I work at the local library system here in the town in Alabama where I currently reside.

And when I get chance, such as when I'm not working or taking care of the little one, I have two main hobbies. The first is dabbling in Photoshop -- you guys might have noticed the various sigs and such I have around Memento. Well those were all made by me. I also have a deviantART with some stuff, mostly terrible, and some photography (which is another hobby, although considerably lesser than the main ones).

My secondary hobby, and the longest-running one, since I've been doing it my whole life, is singing. I was really big into choir and drama in high school, I sang in church before that (when I was a good little churchgoing Christian), and since high school the majority of the singing I do is strictly non-performance. I sing for my daughter, or when I'm doing chores, or in the car, things like that -- not so much when others can hear, as I've grown a bit shy in the 11 years of not performing. xD I do have a few songs I recorded on a karaoke site before I got pregnant, and you can find them here. Sorry for poor sound quality!

Additionally I have a couple of writing accounts, one on FictionPress.com, and FanFiction.net, but neither has been updated in a long while. Turns out that 90% of the time, when I'm not RPing, I have a massive case of writer's block. Who knew? XD
word count: 326

This month, Shalamar has its first book release (other than books written by me). I'm super excited, but also super stressed!

If you're interested in the details, it's all on our website, here. (Note: The book cover was designed by Twila, who of course I met here!)

The book comes out on November 17. On November 11, we're going to a local book festival, and on the 16th, the author, Jerry, is throwing a release party. On the 17th, we have a book signing scheduled as well.

It doesn't let up much after that, though, because we're aiming for national recognition starting in December as word of mouth spreads and reviewers take notice. And it's the holiday season, so folks buy books as gifts.

If you have questions in general about publishing, feel free to ask me! I've been doing this for a long time now....
word count: 154

I do too much stuff... Like blog... and cook lots of food for said blog... and eat... the... food. I also craft quite a bit, specifically with textiles (sewing and crochet), and I am also an artist (I told you that I did a lot of stuff) - I draw, paint, sculpt, cooking does count as do the textiles. Okay, so I am an artist, not so starving.
word count: 67

I saw the covers of my new novel!

One day later, I got to hold it in my arms... even if the public launching will be only on 20-th of April, as until then the halls are taken.

Its title can be translated into English as "Rightness' Friends" (yes, I think rightness. Justice has a different connotation and it isn't the right choice). It is also in 2 volumes, but no separate parts like for "Lives in turmoil", only chapters in sequence. It happens in US, Arizona, in a frontier town named Nogales, which has a twin with the same name in Mexico, just across the valley. There is no clearly mentioned year when it happens, but it is sometime 1974-1982 (with a sort of an epilogue about 8-10 years later. Last chapter, not exactly an epilogue but similar). It is young adult, dealing with first love, jealousy, friendship, honour, but also good and bad choices, forbidden love, morals, gang wars, the high price of fame and young success (in sports and music) with the related high performance expectations and pressure which some can resist to, some can't, carreer choices, suicide and those left behind with guilt, rage and depression for having not been able to prevent it. It also explores the worlds of mariachis and of bullfighters.

The first volume's graphic on the cover belongs to a Mexican contemporary painter, Patricia Sanchez Saiffe, who gave me the permission to use it :)
word count: 248

Return to “Getting to Know You”